Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
From Gamehiker Wiki
|Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island|
|Release Date|| Super Nintendo|
JP August 5, 1995
US October 4, 1995
EU October 8, 1995
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is the first game where Yoshi was the main character. It also marked the first appearance of Poochy. The game is unusually because it's graphical style, ordered by Shigeru Miyamoto, looks as if it was drawn with crayons.
As a stork carries Baby Mario and Baby Luigi to his parents, Kamek kidnaps Baby Luigi and Baby Mario falls to an island below. The island is Yoshi's Island and he lands on the back of a green Yoshi. All of the Yoshi's work together to save Baby Luigi.
In this game, the player plays a variety of Yoshi's as they carry Baby Mario through levels. Unlike most platformers, Yoshi can't be harmed by enemies. However, if Baby Mario is knocked off Yoshi for more than 10 seconds, the player loses a life and must start the level over again.
The Yoshis have a variety of moves such as swallowing enemies and powerful stomps. The Yoshis can also float for short periods of time by pedaling their feet as they jump. Yoshi also can throw eggs that he collects.
Yoshi can also transform into various vehicles through out the game. Among these vehicles are a race car, a submarine, a train, a mole tank, and a helicopter. Each vehicle has special abilities.
There are six worlds in the game, with each world being made up of eight regular levels and one secret level. In the Gameboy Advance remake, a secret level was added to each world.
- In terms of gameplay, the first sequel to Yoshi's Island was Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64.
- It wasn't until 2006 that Yoshi's Island DS, a more direct sequel (it's working title was Yoshi's Island 2), was released.
- The 2005 game Yoshi's Touch & Go follows a similar story as Yoshi's Island, but features a completely different kind of gameplay.
- In addition to all of those, there was Yoshi's New Island in 2013, which once more follows the gameplay of Yoshi's Island, and in terms of storyline it takes place between the first Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS.
Ports and Remakes
- In 2002, the game was remade for the Gameboy Advance under the name Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3.
- This game has notably never received a Virtual Console release, although the Super Mario Advance 3 remake has managed to be released for both the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles.
|Titles in the Mario Brothers Series|
|Donkey Kong - Jr. - Mario Bros. - Mario Clash|
Super Mario Bros. (Lost Levels - 2 - 3) - Super Mario World - Yoshi's Island
Super Mario 64 (DS) - Super Mario Sunshine - Super Mario Galaxy (2) - Super Mario 3D Land (World)
Super Mario Land (2) - DX - Super Mario Advance (2 - 3 - 4) - New Super Mario Bros. (Wii) (2) (U)
Donkey Kong '94 - Mario vs. Donkey Kong - March of the Minis - Minis March Again! - Mini-Land Mayhem! - Minis on the Move