From Gamehiker Wiki
|Wolf in Star Fox Command.|
|Voiced by|| Rick May (1997)|
Grant Goodeve (2005)
Jay Ward (2008)
|Debut||Star Fox 64|
Wolf O'Donnell is the leader of team Star Wolf, a group seemingly formed to rival Star Fox. Not much is known about Wolf or how he received his eyepatch. The roots of Wolf's rivalry with Fox McCloud also remain unknown.
Wolf and his team was hired by Andross to deal with Star Fox during his attempt to take over the Lylat System in Star Fox 64. As a result, Wolf and Leon were joined by Pigma, former Star Fox pilot, and Andrew Oikonny, the nephew of Andross. The team encountered Star Fox on Fichina while leading a fleet of Venomian ships. Despite their advantage, the Star Wolf team was defeated. They fight again on Bolse, only to lose yet again. After most of Andross's forces had been defeated, Star Wolf arrived to defend Venom and were defeated yet again.
In the nine years after, Wolf became known as 'Lord O'Donnell' among the criminals at the Sargasso Space Hideout. When Fox invaded Sargasso looking for Pigma in Star Fox Assault, Wolf organized his team (consisting now of himself, Leon, and Panther) to take down Star Fox, but was inevitably defeated. However, once the Aparoid threat become more apparent, Wolf and his team arrived on Corneria to provide Fox some necessary aid. Afterward, Star Wolf provided Star Fox backup two different times, including the battle on the Aparoid Homeworld. After the planet exploded, the Star Wolf team was nowhere to be found.
Afterwards, Star Wolf continued their lives of crime, not unnoticed by the Cornerian military. In response, a bounty was placed on their heads (Wolf has the largest bounty, at S$3000000). To avoid the military's attention, they set up a base on Fichina.
Wanting to remove their bounties and tired of being seen as villains, Star Wolf began to plot out a way to defeat the Anglar Empire in Star Fox Command. After a battle with Fox, Slippy, and Lucy Hare (assuming Fox and Slippy went to Lucy's aid), the team split up. While Leon and Panther went to Katina, Wolf was presumably researching a device that Andross built that would neutralize the toxicity of the Venom Sea. Star Fox found the device on Titania first, however, and Star Wolf was not seen again.
Three storylines of Star Fox Command do have Wolf and co. finding the neutralizing device and using it to assault Venom. In one of those, they are only able to destroy the Anglar HQ and force them to the Asteroid Belt, where Star Fox finishes the Emperor Anglar off. In the other two, Star Wolf defeats the Emperor Anglar and they're considered heroes, stealing glory from Fox and Falco (who recruited Wolf at Fichina and brought him to Titania to get the neutralizing device; Wolf then stole the device from them).
Wolf had a prominent role in three of the game's storylines.
- In Ending 3, Star Wolf was able to find the neutralizing device and used it to attack the Anglar HQ at Venom. They successfully destroyed the base and force the Anglars into the Asteroid Belt, where Star Fox was able to finish off the Emperor Anglar.
- In Ending 4, Star Wolf destroys the Anglar Emperor on Venom with Krystal's help. They are celebrated as heroes by the general populace, with the exception of Krystal.
- In Ending 7, Wolf initially worked with Fox and Falco to find the neutralizing device on Venom. However, Wolf then betrayed them and left with the device. He manipulated Pigma into keeping Star Fox busy while Star Wolf was able to use the device to initiate the attack on Venom. They destroyed the Anglar Emperor and became heroes. The humiliation Fox and Falco endured in the aftermath was great enough that they left Star Fox behind for a future as G-Zero racers.
The Star Fox series does not showcase Wolf's abilities beyond his skills as a pilot. However, the Smash Bros. series gives him abilities which make him similar to a slower but stronger version of Fox. The following is his special moveset:
- Standard Special Move: Blaster - Wolf fires a blaster at enemies, which can only shoot one blast at a time. As an added twist, his blaster has a blade attached to it so that anyone nearby will be damaged by it when he draws it.
- Side Special Move: Wolf Flash - Wolf swiftly leaps upward at an angle at a high speed. This is a particularly useful move in setting up for Meteor Smashes.
- Up Special Move: Fire Wolf - Wolf shoots upward in the air, surrounding by a purple flaming aura.
- Down Special Move: Reflector - Wolf has his own version of the Reflector shield. In addition to reflecting beams fired at it, in the first second of its activation it will counter any attack made against Wolf.
- Final Smash: Landmaster - Wolf's Final Smash, like the other Star Fox characters, is the summoning of a Landmaster to attack opponents with. This Landmaster (which sports Wolfen colors) is both more powerful and mobile than Fox and Falco's Landmasters but lasts a shorter amount of time due to higher fuel consumption.
- Wolf briefly appears in the opening cutscene for Super Smash Bros. Melee, dueling with Fox in space. He does not have his own trophy, but Star Wolf's Wolfen starfighter does.
- Wolf is a playable secret character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He is unlocked by playing 450 brawls, beating the Boss Battles mode with Fox or Falco, or by getting him to join the party in "The Subspace Emissary". His moveset is a stronger but slower clone of Fox's, making him the second Fox clone in the games after Falco. He has two trophies available in the game, a normal trophy and one of his Final Smash. Oddly enough, Wolf's trophy description says that Wolf's grudge with Fox originates from his history with Fox's father, James McCloud. There are also two stickers of Wolf using art from Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Assault. He can also activate special conversations with members of Star Fox and Star Wolf in the Lylat Cruise level by doing a special taunt, and he appears in some conversations triggered by Fox or Falco (one of which hints at him being playable).
- Wolf is not part of "The Subspace Emissary"'s main story. However, after The Subspace Emissary is beaten for the first time, a new door will appear in the Ruins level. This leads to the Lylat Cruise level, where Wolf leaps out from a Wolfen to challenge the player. Defeating Wolf in this level will unlock him in Subspace Emissary as well as in the rest of the game if he had not yet been unlocked.
- In Star Fox 2, Wolf would appear as the last opponent before Andross.
- Wolf and his team were originally conceived for Star Fox 2 for the Super Nintendo; after the game's cancellation, Star Wolf was one of the elements of the game that was instead passed on to Star Fox 64.
- Command description: "The leader of the Star Wolf squadron. Despite the fact that Star Wolf is a rival organization, Wolf has a grudging respect for Fox."
- Wolf can be unlocked to play in Star Fox Assault's multiplayer mode. Due to his three maxed out stats, he's quite a formidable player.
|Characters in Star Fox series|
|Falco Lombardi · Fox McCloud · General Pepper · Krystal · Peppy Hare · ROB64 · Slippy Toad|
Andrew Oikonny · Andross · Leon Powalski · General Scales · Panther Caruso · Pigma Dengar · Wolf O'Donnell
Amanda Toad · Beltino Toad · Bill Grey · Dash Bowman · James McCloud · Katt Monroe · Lucy Hare · Tricky
|Characters in the Super Smash Bros. Series|
|Mario · Donkey Kong · Yoshi · Luigi · Link · Samus |
Pikachu · Jigglypuff · Ness · Captain Falcon · Fox McCloud · Kirby
Marth · Roy · Peach · Bowser · Dr. Mario · Young Link · Zelda · Sheik
Ganondorf · Mr. Game & Watch · Ice Climbers · Pichu · Mewtwo · Falco
Pit · Ike · Wario · Pokémon Trainer <Charizard/Ivysaur/Squirtle>
Meta Knight · Diddy Kong · Lucas · Pikmin & Olimar · King Dedede
Solid Snake · Sonic · Lucario · R.O.B. · Wolf O'Donnell