Super Mario Bros. 2
From Gamehiker Wiki
|Super Mario Bros. 2|
|System||NES, Virtual Console, 3DS Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console|
|Release Date|| NES|
US October, 1988
EU April 28, 1989
AUS May 1989
JPN July 14, 1992
EU May 25, 2007
US July 2, 2007
JP August 10, 2007
3DS Virtual Console
JP November 28, 2012
US July 11, 2013
EU August 7, 2013
Wii U Virtual Console
US/EU May 16, 2013
JP March 19, 2014
Super Mario Bros. 2 (known as Super Mario USA in Japan) acts as the second game in the NES Super Mario Bros. 'trilogy outside of Japan. This game is unique in that it was made to replace the original Super Mario Bros. 2 that had been released in Japan. The original one had been nearly identical to Super Mario Bros., save for new levels and a far great difficulty. Instead, Nintendo chose to remake a different Japanese game known as Doki Doki Panic into the international Super Mario Bros. 2.
One night Mario has a dream about a world called Sub-Con that is under siege from the evil Wart. The next day, while Mario is on a picnic with Luigi, Peach, and Toad; they find a cave that leads to the same Sub-Con Mario saw in his dream. The four decide to take it upon their selves to stop the evil Wart and set Sub-Con free.
The game is a bit of a departure from the original Super Mario Bros.. Although the heroes can still run and jump, they no longer squash the enemy by jumping on them. Instead Mario and co. can ride on most enemies and pick them up and use the enemies as weapons to throw at other enemies. In addition to that, the heroes can find other items they can pick up, usually by pulling up tufts of grass to see what is beneath.
Each character has their own individual stats.
- Mario: A completely balanced character. His jump, speed, and power are all at 4/5.
- Luigi: The best jumper of the four with a 5/5. His speed and power are only 3/5.
- Toad: Quick and nimble with a 5/5 in strength and speed, but only a 2/5 jump.
- Peach: Generally unexceptional in stats, with a 2/5 in speed and power and a 3/5 in jump. However, she has the ability to float for a few seconds after reaching the height of her jump.
Although somewhat a 'black sheep' in the Mario series, the game introduced several enemies and game mechanics that would become mainstays. Notable among these is the Shy Guy that became one of the most popular Mario enemies. Additionally, Peach's floating jump would become an integral part of her abilities in other games. Luigi's 'running' jump would be recycled in all of the Super Mario Advance titles as well.
Another game with the same mechanics as Super Mario Bros. 2 was never made, but many elements were picked up from the game and used in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mario titles afterwards.
Ports and Remakes
- In Japan, the game was released on the Famicom as Super Mario USA.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 was released on the Super NES with updated graphics in the Super Mario All-Stars compilation.
- Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2 was released for the Gameboy Advance with advanced graphics, new items and enemies, voices and a mulitplayer mode.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 was later made available for download over the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console in 2007. A demo version was unlockable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as one of the Masterpieces. The game was later released for the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles at different points from 2012 through 2014.
|Titles in the Mario Brothers Series|
|Donkey Kong - Jr. - Mario Bros. - Mario Clash|
Super Mario Bros. (Lost Levels - 2 - 3) - Super Mario World - Yoshi's Island
Super Mario 64 (DS) - Super Mario Sunshine - Super Mario Galaxy (2) - Super Mario 3D Land (World)
Super Mario Land (2) - DX - Super Mario Advance (2 - 3 - 4) - New Super Mario Bros. (Wii) (2) (U)
Donkey Kong '94 - Mario vs. Donkey Kong - March of the Minis - Minis March Again! - Mini-Land Mayhem! - Minis on the Move