From Gamehiker Wiki
|The Star Spirits in Paper Mario.|
The Star Spirits were seven star-like creatures who resided at Star Haven. Each of them had a special power, and their duty since the beginning of time was to protect the Star Rod. They oversaw peace in the world and ensured that good people's wishes were granted. In Paper Mario, Bowser broke into their shrine, and the star spirits were trapped in a set of cards by Kammy Koopa. Each card was distributed to a different lieutenant of Bowser. The spirits still had enough power to project themselves to Mario's location, and they were able to heal Mario after he was defeated by Bowser with his Star Rod-granted invulnerability. Eldstar appeared to Mario when he was sleeping and told him to come to Shooting Star Summit.
There, the Star Spirits were able to project themselves before Mario long enough to explain themselves and their situation, as well as all of the evil that Bowser could cause with the Star Rod. Mario made his way across the Mushroom Kingdom and saved a different Star Spirit in each of the game's chapters, with each one granting Mario a new power before returning to Star Haven. Once they were all freed, the Star Spirits opened Star Way at Shooting Star Summit so that Mario could reach Star Haven, were they were able to give Mario a special Star Beam ability to counteract Bowser's Star Rod-enhanced invulnerability. They also let him use the Star Ship to reach Bowser's castle.
The Star Beam initially worked during the final battle with Bowser until Kammy used a special device to enhance Bowser's power further, her own countermeasure she developed when the Star Spirits were being freed. The Star Beam was rendered powerless against Bowser until it was strengthened by Peach's wishes. As the Peach Beam, it was able to strip Bowser of his powers and led to his defeat. They thanked Mario and his friends before returning to Star Haven to resume their duties.
The Star Spirits also appeared in Mario Party 5 with a different role. They were referred to as the Star Guards and were shown to watch over the Dream Depot, where they guarded the dreams of the world's people. They decided to invite Mario and his friends to the Dream Depot since they were considered to be the biggest dreamers, but Bowser also attacked the area in order to make his own dream come true. Each Star Guard hosted a different mode of the game.
Each Star Spirit has a name which is a pun on some characteristic or attribute associated with them, combined with "star".
- Eldstar - The leader of the Star Spirits. His primary distinguishing feature is a busy mustache, which is a sign of his age. In Paper Mario, he is the first Star Spirit rescued from the Koopa Bros.' fortress, and he grants the Refresh ability. In Mario Party 5, he hosts Party Mode.
- Mamar - This Star Spirit is feminine, with a bow and lipstick. In Paper Mario, she was held by Tutankoopa at the Dry Dry Ruins in the second chapter, and she granted the Lullaby ability. In Mario Party 5, she hosts Bonus Mode.
- Skolar - Skolar is a scholarly Star Spirit with a grayish-blue body, a severe expression and a thin brown mustache (with matching eyebrows). He also wears a pair of spectacles. In Paper Mario, he was found in the third chapter and was initially held by Tubba Blubba. He was the only Star Spirit who was able to escape on his own, but Lady Bow had him captured and held at Boo's Mansion until Mario defeated Tubba for them. He granted the Star Storm ability. In Mario Party 5, Skolar hosts Super Duel Mode.
- Muskular - He is a smarmy blue Star Spirit who dons a sailor hat. In Paper Mario, he was rescued in the fourth chapter from General Shy Guy in the Shy Guy's Toybox and granted the Chill Out ability. In Mario Party 5, he hosts Mini-Game Mode.
- Misstar - Misstar is a pink feminine Star Spirit who wears a yellow ribbon around her body. In Paper Mario, she was rescued in the fifth chapter from the Lava Piranha at the Lavalava Volcano, and she helped Mario's group escape the volcano as well as giving him the Smooch ability. In Mario Party 5, she hosts the Story Mode.
- Klevar - He is a clever and young-looking Star Spirit who wears a large pink bowtie and is always seen carrying a book. In Mario Party 5, he was rescued in the sixth chapter from Flower Fields where he was held by Huff N. Puff, and he granted the Time Out ability. In Mario Party 5, he acts as a general guide introducing the game's modes and also hosts some ingame events.
- Kalmar - The last of the Star Spirits is a normal-looking star with a brown mustache. In Paper Mario, he was the last Star Spirit rescued from the Crystal King at the Crystal Palace in the seventh chapter, and he granted the Up & Away power. In Mario Party 5, he hosts the Options.
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, stickers for Eldstar, Misstar and Muskular appear, using art from Mario Party 5.