From Gamehiker Wiki
|Roy in New Super Mario Bros. Wii|
|Relatives||Bowser (father), Koopalings (siblings)|
|Voiced by||Dan Falcone (2009)|
|Debut||Super Mario Bros. 3|
Roy Koopa is one of Bowser's eight children and the third oldest; in battle, Roy seems to rely on brute force and using his weight against foes.
Roy's first appearance in a Mario game was in Super Mario Bros. 3, where he spearheaded an invasion of The Sky with his Airship and armies. In battle, Roy, like his siblings, would try to blast Mario or Luigi with his stolen Magic Scepter and also try to crush them with his paralyzing jumps but was defeated.
In Super Mario World, Roy appeared as the boss of the Forest of Illusion, located in a castle on the outskirts of the forest, near Chocolate Island. In this game, Roy would attack Mario or Luigi by climbing up walls and dropping off the ceiling of his chamber, trying to crush Mario or Luigi. In Yoshi's Safari, Roy appears as the boss of Float Castle I, where he battles Mario and Yoshi from a hot-air balloon, equiped with six powerful cannons.
After several years of absence, Roy made a reappearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, where he appears to help Bowletta in her attack on the BeanBean Kingdom. In Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Roy would attack Mario and Luigi by flinging fireballs at them and by creating shockwaves.
Roy returns in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, now with a purple shell rather than pink. He and the other Koopalings kidnap Peach on her birthday and escape aboard an airship. During their escape, Bowser Jr. drops each of the Koopalings off at fortresses along the way to slow down Mario and co. Roy is left at the World 2 fortress; when Mario arrives, he roars at him before engaging with a new magic wand and paralyzing stomps. Upon being defeated, he runs to the World 2 castle and launches spells at the heroes as they make their way to him. He faces Mario again with help from Kamek, who uses a spell to form warp pipes on the arena's ceiling for him to use. After his second loss, Roy makes his way back home on foot along with the other Koopalings. They arrive to find a fallen Bowser and help him up, only for Bowser's Castle to fall on top of them.
- Roy Koopa appears as a boss in the licensed games Mario is Missing! (the PC and Super NES versions only) and Hotel Mario. In the latter game he is the boss of Roy's HardBrick Hotel and reuses his attack scheme from Super Mario World by climbing up walls and then dropping from the ceiling.
- In Amada's Super Mario OVA, Roy and the Koopalings appear in the Momotaro and Snow White shorts as minions of Bowser whom Mario defeats with ease on his way to fight Bowser.
- In The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World animated series, Roy was featured as a recurring villain and was renamed Bully Koopa and was shown to have a thug-like demeanor
- Roy also appeared in the various comic adaptations of the Mario series. In the Mario comics published as part of the Nintendo Comics System, he had a personality similar to in the cartoon. He additionally appeared in the Nintendo Adventure books and Super Mario Adventures comic.
- Sprites of Roy and the other Koopalings were found on Super Princess Peach, indicating that they were intended to appear in the game as bosses but were removed at some point in development.
- Roy is possibly named after and based upon the famous rock and roll legend, Roy Orbison, who Roy vaguely resembles (mostly due to his similar glasses).