From Gamehiker Wiki
|Pearl as seen in Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl Versions|
|Relatives|| Palmer (father)|
|Debut||Pokémon: Diamond Version/Pokemon: Pearl Version|
Palmer was a hyperactive young child who was always in a rush. His tendency to run off unexpectedly seems to have come from his father. Palmer, who was the Tower Tycoon of the Battle Zone's Battle Tower. Pearl was determined to prove himself by defeating his father, which inspired him in his road to become a Pokémon trainer. He lived at Twinleaf Town with his mother, and he was best friends with his neighbor Lucas/Dawn, whom he often dragged off to participate in wacky schemes.
Such an event occurred in the beginning of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, when Pearl decided to drag his friend off to Lake Verity in search of rare Pokémon. However, when they arrived at the lake they saw Professor Rowan and his assistant Dawn/Lucas just as they were leaving. They noticed Rowan had left behind his briefcase, but just as they went to retrieve it they were attacked by wild Pokémon. They both borrowed one of the three Pokémon (Turtwig, Chimchar or Piplup) to fend off the Pokémon. The professor's assistant arrived in time to witness this, but Rowan was not angry and instead invited them to his lab. Pearl rushed there first, where Rowan told him he could keep the Pokémon. However, Pearl ran off before Professor Rowan could give him a Pokédex.
Pearl then traveled to Jubilife City and spent some time at the Trainer's School. His friend came to him there with a parcel from his mother, which contained two town maps. Pearl kept one for himself and let Lucas/Dawn keep the spare. He then confronted his friend when they were about to leave Jubilife, and challenged him to a battle to test his prowess. Pearl traveled and began defeating various gym leaders, occasionally running into his friend along the way. He challenged him again at Hearthome City and Pastoria. He also came to admire Crasher Wake after meeting him.
At Canalave City, Pearl battled Lucas/Dawn again. After his friend defeated the gym leader there, Pearl brought his friend up to a meeting with Professor Rowan and his assistant at the Canalave Library. With Team Galactic attacking one of the three lakes, it was decided that the trainers would split up and each travel to a different lake to investigate. Pearl was sent up north to Lake Verity. However, he was defeated by the Galactic Commander Jupiter and retreated in shame, swearing to become stronger. Pearl later arrived to help Lucas/Dawn in the final Team Galactic battles atop Mt. Coronet, and they engaged Jupiter and Mars in a double battle. Afterwards, Pearl healed his friend's Pokémon and left.
Pearl confronted Lucas/Dawn once more outside the Pokémon League headquarters. After his friend defeats the Elite Four, Pearl travels with them on a bot to the Battle Zone. There Pearl endeavors to become strong enough to challenge his father at the Battle Tower, although it is unknown if he ever reaches this goal. He first is caught up in the race for the Magma Stone, but he is defeated by Buck, which gives him a loss in confidence. Afterwards, he spent all weekdays training in Stark Mountain, and every weekend he could be challenged outside the Battle Park. In Platinum, he would also visit the player's villa immediately after they bought it and be impressed by it, asking if his friend was rich now and then leaving to tell everyone about it.
Pearl uses the following Pokémon throughout the battles:
- Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra or Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape or Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon - Pearl's starter Pokémon is whichever one has a type advantage against the player character's starter Pokémon. It evolves into its second form by the Hearthome City battle and the third form by the Mt. Coronet double battle.
- Starly/Staravia/Staraptor - Starly is first used by Pearl in the Route 203 battle. It evolves into Staravia by the Canalave City battle
- Ponyta/Rapidash - Ponyta is first used by Pearl in the Hearthome City battle and evolves into Rapidash by the Pokémon League battle. It is only used if Pearl has Turtwig or Piplup as his starter.
- Roselia/Roserade - It is first used in the Hearthome City battle and evolves into Roserade by the Pokémon League battle. It is only used if Pearl has Chimchar or Piplup as his starter.
- Buizel/Floatzel - It is first used in the Hearthome City battle and evolves into Floatzel by the Pokémon League battle. It is only used if Pearl has Turtwig or Piplup as his starter.
- Heracross - Pearl first uses it in the Canalave City battle.
- Munchlax/Snorlax - Pearl first uses Munchlax in the Mt. Coronet double battle. It evolves into Snorlax by the Pokémon League battle.
- In the Pokémon anime, the character of Barry was eventually introduced based on Pearl. He has the same hyperactive personality and is childhood friends with Dawn, but does not remember her. He traveled with Ash Ketchum and acted as a rival to him, as well as admiring Paul for his training strategies, although Barry still cares for his Pokémon. His starter Pokémon was a Piplup which eventually evolved into an Empoleon. He made it up to the second round of the Suzuran Conference until he lost his battle with Paul, but he remained friendly afterwards.
- In the Pokémon Adventures manga, Diamond (Lucas) and Pearl are introduced in the Diamond/Pearl arc as a pair of traveling comedians who, through a mix-up, are confused with two bodyguards who are supposed to escort Miss Platinum Berlitz (Dawn) to Mt. Coronet. They initially play along, believing it to be part of a reality tv show, but they eventually begin to realize the truth. Of the two, Pearl is better at battling.
- In the Japanese version, "Shigeru" (the Japanese name for Gary/Blue) is given as one of the default names. However, "Gary" only appears as a default name in the German and Italian versions.