From Gamehiker Wiki
|Relatives||Isadora (possible wife)|
Harken is a playable unit in Fire Emblem. He was one of Pherae's most powerful knights, but he was often plagued by feelings of guilt and doubt in his abilities.
Harken originally served some type of corrupt marquess. However, the marquess betrayed his loyalty and threw him out. He then dedicated his service to House Pherae. Lord Elbert, the marquess of Pherae, accepted him without question. Harken became one of the greatest knights in Pherae and a hero to many, including a young Lowen. He also formed a romance with his fellow knight, Isadora. Elbert later went off an on expedition to prevent the uprising in Laus, and he took Harken with him along with all of Pherae's greatest knights. During his farewell with Isadora, who stayed behind, Harken promised to marry her when he returned. But things did not proceed according to plan.
Elbert wound up leading the knights to Nergal's stronghold on Valor Isle. However, Nergal used his magic to kill all the knights and then captured Elbert. Harken was left as the only survivor. This caused Harken to develop a strong self-doubt about his abilities. He was unwilling to return to Pherae, as he felt shamed by his failure to protect the marquess. Instead, he decided to seek revenge. Harken heard that Nergal was connected to an organization of assassins called the Black Fang, so he searched Elibe for any signs of the group. Eventually he was able to find the Black Fang and successfully infiltrated it. When the time was right, he planned to avenge Lord Elbert by betraying them and attacking them all until he himself was killed.
Harken appears in "Pale Flower of Darkness" (Eliwood Chapter 25, Hector Chapter 27) only if certain conditions are met by the ninth turn (otherwise, Karel appears). He appears on the Kenneth version if less than three promoted units are killed, and in the Jerme version if less than four doors are unlocked. Harken appeared during the battle between Eliwood's company and several Black Fang members, reluctantly joining in to prove his worth. If Eliwood, Lowen, Marcus or Isadora spoke to Harken, then he was motivated to switch sides and join with Eliwood's Company. Harken accompanied Eliwood's group for the remainder of Eliwood's quest.
Harken has three possible endings, depending on whom he reaches A Rank Support with.
- Default Ending- Harken worked together with Marcus to rebuild the Knights of Pherae, and they slowly rebuilt their strength and prestige.
- Isadora and Harken's Ending- Harken and Isadora were married shortly after their return to Pherae. Their loves blossomed over the years, and they received blessings from both Eliwood and Lady Eleanora. Many envied their good fortune.
- Vaida and Harken's Ending- Harken and Vaida desired to be near each other, but they could not bring themselves to resign from serving their respective lords. They parted ways and never saw each other again.
Support Conversation Summaries
Harken is capable of having Support conversations with five other characters.
- Eliwood- In the first conversation, Harken asks Eliwood to remain during the rear during battle and leaving the fighting to the others, saying that Eliwood's skill has improved but Harken does not want to take unnecessary risks. In the second conversation, Harken asks the same thing of Eliwood, but Eliwood is bound on fighting the enemy directly for his own reasons. He asks Harken to take care of his mother if he dies in battle, but Harken says that he would kill himself soon afterwards. Harken tells Eliwood that he does not want to lose Eliwood like he did Elbert and says that all of the troops hold Eliwood's life over their own respective lives. In the final conversation, Eliwood re-affirms himself in not retreating to the rear, and he assures Harken that both of them will survive the upcoming battles in order to please Eleanora and Elbert.
- Isadora- In the first conversation, Isadora is hurt that Harken was gone for so long without contacting them and refuses to forgive him. In the second conversation, Harken apologizes and asks Isadora why she is so sad. She says that she is afraid Harken will leave her alone again. Harken promises to stay by her, but Isadora is too afraid to accept that promise. In the third conversation, Isadora tells Harken about all the pain she felt during Harken's absence. She reminds him of his promise to marry her, and Harken asks for a second chance at that promise. He says that after the war, they could return to Pherae and be married in a grand ceremony. He promises never to leave her behind again, and that they will always be together.
- Lowen- In the first Support conversation, Harken catches Lowen's bag of emergency rations when they almost fall off of his horse. Lowen then accidentally mentions the knights who had traveled with Harken and died under his command. Lowen apologizes, but then Harken says that Lowen is simply saying the truth and apologizes that Lowen witnessed the impotence of his knights. In the second conversation, Harken doubts his abilities and tells Lowen not to follow his example. However, Lowen tells Harken the story of how Harken had inspired him to take the path of a knight years ago. In the third conversation, it is shown that Lowen's story told Harken that should stop blaming himself and occupying himself with guilt when he should be protecting Eliwood. He then assures Lowen that he will be a fine knight one day and also orders him to bring the emergency rations to Merlinus, saying that a knight can go without food for a while.
- Marcus- Marcus is glad to see Harken alive again. However, Harken becomes troubled when he recalls his past and begins to think that Eliwood would not accept him if he knew the truth about Harken. But Marcus tells Harken not to worry about the past, and tells him that Eliwood trusts Harken so he should trust Eliwood in turn.
- Vaida- In the first conversation, Harken introduces himself to Vaida politely. However, Vaida tells him not to be so polite because they are enemies and says she tried to kill Eliwood once. But Harken says that if Eliwood welcomed Vaida to their side, then they are allies. In the second conversation, Harken inquires about Vaida's position. She tells him about how she lost her rank as a royal knight of Bern, but she refuses to tell him why and tells him to stay away from her. In the final conversation, Harken tells Vaida about his time in the Black Fang. He mentions having once seen Vaida speaking to Lady Sonia (presumably in the opening scene of "Pale Flowers of Darkness"). Vaida imagines Harken enjoyed seeing Vaida being scolded, but Harken said that he was envious of her for her focus of mind, for she was willing to use any means necessary to return to her master, while Harken had lost his master and his will to live. Vaida corrects Harken by saying that the master she served is not King Desmond, but Prince Zephiel. Harken is glad to have the talk and declares they should fight alongside each other as compatriots. Vaida insists that she doesn't care about Harken at all.